The AMC Forum - 70 AMC Gremlin Dash Upgrade?

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/18/17 at 23:49:47
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
70 AMC Gremlin Dash Upgrade? (Read 1279 times)
hpfiend
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Columbus, OH
70 AMC Gremlin Dash Upgrade?
12/28/16 at 16:51:11

Hey all-

I understand this car was built almost 50 years ago but does anyone else have a hard time reading their gauges during the day and especially at night?  

The green glow is imprecise and blurs everything even on max brightness and unless I am going 5 mph would wreck trying to figure out an exact speed?

Does anyone have a picture of what the 4 warning lights are supposed to be if they were warning? So far I can tell they are ALT, OIL, BRAKE, and ???

Has anyone fixed it to make it still look original or at least retro but more functional?

« Last Edit: 12/28/16 at 22:42:39 by hpfiend »  

1970 AMC Gremlin - Project
1973 AMC Gremlin - Parts Car/Clean Shell
Email   IP Logged
scott
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Wildwood, PA
Re: 70 AMC Gremlin Dash Cluster Illegible
Reply #1 - 12/28/16 at 22:53:25

I've had luck improving the "readability" of gauge clusters by doing some restoration work to them.

I remove the cluster from the car & remove the lens. After a bath with mild soap & water, polish the lens, both sides, with plastic polish. Remove the bulb & bulb holders, & replace the bulbs with new ones. Some like to use LED bulbs, I've never tried them. Clean the contact areas on the PC with a pencil eraser so the copper shines. Clean the contact areas on the bulb holders with fine sandpaper. You may want to bend the contacts out a hair so they make better contact. I think the Gremlin cluster has green lenses over the dash light bulbs, clean those too. You may want to remove the gauges & clean the inside of the housing. Clean the PC where the plug goes in.

I did change one cluster over to orange lighting, & it looked great. I removed the green lenses over the bulbs & simply spray painted the bulbs orange.

Paint the needles on the gauges with fluorescent orange paint. You may be able to clean the face of the gauges if they are dirty, but be very careful. A dry wipe is usually best, some gauges seem to have used a water base paint that cleaners will remove.

Reassemble it all & install. Hopefully it will look much better to you.

Make sure you are very gentle with everything you do. These 40+ year old items can be fragile.  

I don't know what the warning lights are for each location, but I'll bet the owners manual & factory service manual will show you.

Email   IP Logged
hpfiend
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Columbus, OH
Re: 70 AMC Gremlin Dash Upgrade?
Reply #2 - 12/29/16 at 15:07:03

Scott,

Thanks for your post! I will do just that and may switch to orange or red LEDs.  I have some testor's fluorescent orange model paint I used on my old mustang around here somewhere I believe- locating it could be the issue Wink.

I looked in the owners manual for a 71 I found at a swap meet and it lists 3 of the 4 warning light spots as I described but the fourth is blank??  Anyone have a FSM for a 70 Gremlin?

Email   IP Logged
scott
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Wildwood, PA
Reply #3 - 12/29/16 at 21:56:22

The 70 tech manual only shows the Gremlin cluster from the rear. I think the warning lights, starting from the upper left going counterclockwise are: alternator, park brake, brake warning, oil. That would be viewing the cluster from the front.

Email   IP Logged
hpfiend
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Columbus, OH
Reply #4 - 12/30/16 at 16:05:49

Thanks! That could be it.  I thought I saw that the park brake was the same as the brake warning light but not positive.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print