The AMC Forum - Power steering pump

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
09/21/17 at 22:49:52
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power steering pump (Read 95 times)
67amrcn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Melbourne, Fl
Power steering pump
09/13/17 at 14:40:05

Installed a rebuilt power steering pump in my 72 Javelin.  Bled it as instructed,, everything seemed fine.  Took it for a ride and all was fine, except at idle, no power and very hard to turn.  Someone mentioned pressure adjustment, don't even know where to start with that.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Email   IP Logged
scott
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Wildwood, PA
Re: Power steering pump
Reply #1 - 09/13/17 at 21:32:38

Saginaw or Eaton pump?? I believe Saginaw was stock on the 1972 models, but never hurts to confirm.

Sounds like a bad pump to me. Rebuilt by Cardone by chance??

If you think it is a pressure adjustment problem, google Saginaw pump pressure adjustment, you'll find lots of info. It is fairly easy to do.

Email   IP Logged
tufcj
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Watkins, CO
Reply #2 - 09/14/17 at 03:55:10

What was the reason for replacement?   I replaced a pump in my Jeep only to find out the hoses had deteriorated inside and the pieces of rubber were jamming the rotary valve in the steering box itself.  The new pump was destroyed in short order.  Ended up replacing pump, hoses, and steering box the second time.  You might want to check hoses and fluid for contamination.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Email   IP Logged
67amrcn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Melbourne, Fl
Reply #3 - 09/17/17 at 13:34:36

It is a Saginaw pump, replaced because it was leaking around the shaft.  I will look up the info suggested and see if that help.  Keep the help coming.

Thanks again,
Craig

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print